Food is an extremely significant part of our lives. No gathering is complete without food. We consume foods in whichever mood we are in, whether it’s a celebration or a funeral. Prisoners on death row are even offered a choice for their last meal. Ask a sick man what would be the first thing he would do when he gets well, and the answer would very often be to eat his favorite food. A majority of us live to eat, instead of it being the other way around.
Foods have a profound impact on our emotions and energy levels. Many diseases are caused by an unhealthy diet. Very often it is observed that we feel extremely lethargic after lunch, and this reduces office productivity for two to three hours. This is due to the unhealthy and high carbohydrate diet. In Asia we consume excessive amounts of rice, while in the west rice is replaced with white flour. It is also predicted that the next generation of children will be more obese, suffer from Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and autism simply because of an unhealthy and toxic diet.
Dino has been experimenting with different foods and has been observing his energy levels accordingly. The following are seven foods that we can completely eliminate, or at least reduce consuming to live healthier and happier lives.
1. Artificial Sweeteners are the sugar substitutes found in diet sodas, desserts, yoghurt etc. The most common artificial sweeteners are NeutraSweet (Aspartame), Equal (Saccharin), and Splenda (Sucralose). Side effects include brain tumors, memory loss, migraines, and much more.
2. White Flour is made from refined and chemically bleached whole-wheat grain. The side effects include in increase of blood sugar due to the high GI carbohydrates and an increased level of bad LDL cholesterol which can lead to heart disease.
3. White Rice is milled and refined similar to white flour and side affects include an increase in blood sugar due to the high GI carbohydrates and can lead to diabetes.
4. Meat has been known to cause cardiovascular diseases. The animals are injected with growth hormones that cause cancer. Seafood contains the chemicals, plastic, and garbage that is disposed off into the ocean. A high level of radiation is also found in seafood since the earthquake in Japan.
5. Dairy is full of saturated fats and is linked to prostate cancer and heart disease. It aggravates IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and does not benefit our bones or prevent osteoporosis.
6. Processed Foods do not contain any nutritional value; instead, chemicals to maintain the longevity of the foods replace the nutrition.
7. Refined Sugars contribute to obesity, a suppression of the immune system, a rise in triglycerides, and weakens eyesight.
This blog post would not be complete if Dino would not share a list of foods that can replace the ones above. Dino suggests that we choose foods that offer us nutrition and life force. These include fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts/seeds, whole grains, lentils, and tofu.
Dino encourages us to experiment by eliminating these seven foods from our diet and including the new ones. Any change requires effort and determination; it would be wiser to make a conscious choice to modify our diets as early as possible, instead of reaching a stage in our lives where we are forced to follow a restricted diet. Dino assures us that once we experience the rejuvenated feeling, we will not return to an unhealthy diet.
"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." - La Rochefoucauld